“SAS Rogue Heroes”
In its first full-year results since its US$2.2 billion acquisition of Endemol Shine Group in 2019, and since going public at the start of this year, production company Banijay reported a 16.5% revenue hike last year to hit €3.2 billion, up on the €2.75 billion in 2021.
The earnings report, posted by parent company FL Entertainment, revealed that Banijay’s adjusted EBITDA rose 9% to €472 million in 2022, though its profit margin fell by 1% on the previous year to 14.7%. Banijay’s €3.2 billion accounted for the majority of FL Entertainment’s total revenue, which stood at €4 billion, representing a 15.7% increase on 2021.
The results follow Banijay’s acquisition of 15 companies including Australian firm Beyond International; UK drama specialist Kindle Entertainment, which made Netflix’s young adult series “The A List”; Mam Tor, the producer behind BBC drama “Chloe”; and Italian animation firm Movimenti Production, which produces Rai’s “Topo Gigio.”
François Riahi, CEO of FL Entertainment, noted that growth in production and distribution revenues was linked to new shows such as scripted titles “Marie-Antoinette” and “SAS Rogue Heroes,” as well as some other “powerful” unscripted IP such as “Masterchef,” “Big Brother” and “Survivor.”
“These productions, as well as our successful execution of 15 bolt on acquisitions in ten territories, have driven a 30% increase of our overall content catalog, cementing our position as the number one global independent content producer. We are perfectly positioned in this business to capture market consolidation opportunities going forward,” Riahi commented.