Last month, Warner Bros. Discovery introduced Max, what the company described as its enhanced streaming service, which launch in the United States on May 23. Max currently is the destination for HBO Originals, Warner Bros. films, Max Originals, the DC universe, an expansive offering of kids content, and programming across food, home, reality, lifestyle and documentaries from the group’s brands, such as HGTV, Food Network, Discovery Channel, TLC, ID, and more.
The team at Reelgood recently dug into Max's catalog, examining the number of movies, TV shows, and episodes available, and found some interesting insights on the rebranded service. According to Reelgood, Max offers a collection of 2.2K movies, with 96% of them being previously available on HBO Max. The remaining 4% comprises content shared between Discovery+ and new additions exclusive to Max. At the same time, Max features 1.2K TV shows, of which 55% were previously available on Discovery+, 42% on HBO Max, and the remaining shows are new additions exclusive to Max.
Moreover, Reelgood discovered that the movie catalog on Max is twice the size of the TV show catalog. Max has slightly fewer movies than HBO Max, but it more than doubled its episodes, increasing by over 130%. The TV show catalog also nearly doubled in size, with 88% more shows than HBO Max.